To prepare for a disaster, you should have copies and digital copies of all your important papers, such as deed, insurance, wills, motor vehicle registration, and court documents.
FEMA requires the following documentation to prove that you own your home:
- Deed or Title
- Mortgage document
- Homeowners insurance documentation
- Property tax bill or receipt
- Manufactured home certificate
- Home purchase contract
- Last will and testament naming applicant heir to the property
- Receipts of major repairs or maintenance done within the last five years
- Letter prepared after the disaster from a mobile home park owner that met with FEMA requirements
- Letter or mail delivered to your address from an employer, public official, social services organization, school district, mobile home park owner
These documents should be kept in a safe and secure location, but also easily accessible and if you must evacuate your home, you can grab these documents and take them with you.